I had to think of something for dinner tonight cause I am an on-the-fly type, unfortunately. And the thought usually crosses my mind too late to thaw meat. I realize you can microwave thaw but, (maybe it is in my head) the meat never seems to be the same after that. And seeing as I have a plethora of veggies in the fridge, I went this route.
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 whole Large Onion, Diced
- 3 large Carrots or 6 smaller Carrots, Washed And Sliced
- 4 whole Yellow Squash and or Zucchini (sliced)
- Salt To Taste
- 1 Tablespoon Curry Powder (more To Taste!)
- 1/2 cup Dry White Wine (optional)*
- 48 ounces, fluid Chicken Broth
- 1 teaspoon minced Ginger (optional)*
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper (optional)*
Heat olive oil in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and stir to coat. Add carrots and squash and cook for 4 minutes, or until they start to get soft.
Add salt to taste and the curry powder. Add ginger and cayenne pepper, if adding.
Pour in wine if using. Let evaporate for about 30 seconds, then pour in chicken broth. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover pot, and cook for 1 hour.
After 1 hour, taste and adjust seasonings. Turn off heat.
Puree soup using an immersion blender, or in batches in a regular blender. Return to soup pot and bring to a simmer. Serve hot.
*This soup can be adjusted to your tastes or what you have on hand with white wine, cayenne pepper, and ginger. I also added a dash of cinnamon to my bowl. Also, the picture has small dark specks in it because I used a zucchini.
Adapted from this recipe.